David Cameron: speech on modern public service
"We've got David Cameron as Prime Minister now. A wet lipped buffoon who looks like he should be playing a trombone in a fucking Lurpak butter advert!" - Frankie Boyle
Yesterday David Cameron gave a speech on public services in England without once mentioning the word 'England'. Instead we were treated to 18 instances of the phrase 'our public services', 4 instances of 'our country' and 2 mentions of 'our schools' (not to mention 'our schools and hospitals', 'our universities', 'our teaching hospitals and universities', 'our children', 'our health outcomes', 'our society', 'public services in our country' and 'our Foundation hospitals'). He managed to mention the word 'Britain' 4 times but to his credit he spared us the moralising guff about 'Britishness' and 'British values' that would have cluttered up a Gordon Brown speech.
So, Mr Cameron, instead of this:
Some of our Foundation hospitals are bringing the very best care to the people who need it most.
City Technology Colleges and Academies are transforming education results in some of our poorest communities.
Why not say this:
Foundation hospitals in England are bringing the very best care to the people who need it most.
City Technology Colleges and Academies are transforming education results in some of England's poorest communities.
Would it be so very fucking difficult to mention England when it is England of which you speak?
Trackback URL for this post:
It's hard to know whether to laugh or cry over this article in the Scotsman.
Baroness Warsi said Scots had "been much better" than the English at finding a core identity around which people could find common ground.
She noted that people from Pakistan w
- Launch of the Blueprint for ‘Scotland’s Future’: A Red-Letter Day for England?
- Time for a festival of Englishness
- Peter Black AM facing two ways at once
- Jacob Rees-Mogg: England without Scotland would be a small, shrunken, shrivelled place
- Can Ed Miliband Speak for England
- Nick Clegg’s Geopolitical Fruit Kebab
- One Year to Go
- Scottish Lib Dem MPs are of a high calibre says Clegg
- Congratulations to the UK and Scotland
- The Rise of the Little Englander